THE ORANGE GARDEN
Created in the 1930s where the Dominican Fathers of the neighboring church of Saint Sabina used to have a small vegetable garden, this beautiful park located on the Aventine Hill owes its name to the many bitter orange trees growing there. According to legend Saint Dominic gave the garden its first orange tree, after transporting a sapling from Spain. Legend also tells that Saint Catherine of Siena picked the oranges from this tree and made candied fruit, which she gave to Pope Urban VI.
Also known as the Savello park (Parco Savello), the Orange Garden offers an excellent view of the city. The park, as it is today, was designed in 1932 by Raffaele De Vico. It was constructed to offer public access to the view from the side of the hill, creating a new ‘’belvedere’’, to be added to the existing viewpoints in Rome from the Pincian Hill and the Janiculum. The garden extends over the area of an ancient fortress built by the Savelli family between 1285 and 1287, which, in turn, was built over an old castle constructed by the Crescentii in the 10th century. The garden is bordered by a wall that once surrounded the Savelli castle and other remains of the castle can also be still seen.